Sunday, March 28, 2010

For Emma


Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith, Linda King Newell and Valeen Tippetts Avery.

After more than a year of research into all things Mormon the above book is the one that sealed the deal for me in relation to leaving the church.

No Man Knows My History: the life of Joseph Smith, Fawn M. Brodie.

I read Brodie's book after I was clear of the religion. It was an enthralling read. However it looks as though Mormon apologists have some concerns over some of her sources so I will be more cautious when I reference her in the future. There is plenty in Mormon Enigma and other books anyway so I still have many things that I want to post here. I feel I owe it to Emma somehow.

2 comments:

  1. Brodie is mostly alright, but a bit dated. It's not just the apologists who worry about some of her sources, though. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to have you here to keep me in check. I am very passionate about speaking out against the early Mormon practice of polygamy especially as the current temple ceremonies are still set up to resume the practice either in this life (if it became legally possible) or in the next life.

    I have used my anger about this issue in my RPM classes. When it gets tough I cycle for Emma, makes me cry sometimes, lucky the room is dark!

    I am not as disciplined as maybe I ought to be with my wording. You are quite right, it is not just the apologists who are skeptical of some of Brodie's sources. I need to be also.

    ReplyDelete